The SCCC Creative Writing Festival celebrates notable student writers through the SCCC Creative Writing Awards for College Writers. There will be prize money and online publication for winners in FIVE genres:
• Creative Nonfiction
• One Act Play
Contest Submission Guidelines
1. All submissions must be submitted through our online submission system. All work must be original and previously unpublished. No simultaneous submissions, please.
2. The student’s name must NOT appear anywhere on the submission. Writing should be carefully edited and proofread.
3. For poetry: Submit three to five poems. Make sure each poem has a title. One poem per page, please.
4. For fiction: Submit one story up to twenty pages (double spaced) long. We would prefer a complete piece rather than an excerpt.
5. For creative nonfiction: Submit one creative nonfiction essay up to twenty pages (double spaced) long. We welcome creative/literary nonfiction including the memoir, the lyric essay, literary journalism, and narrative nonfiction—creative essays. PLEASE NOTE: TRADITIONAL ACADEMIC PROSE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
6. For the one act play: Submit a one act play of up to 30 pages in standard play format. We would prefer a complete piece rather than an excerpt.
7. For screenwriting: Submit only original feature film scripts between 90 and 120 pages in PDF format. Collaborative scripts and scripts that have been sold or optioned are ineligible. We cannot consider made for television movies, adaptations, documentaries, etc. THERE IS A $25 SUBMISSION FEE FOR THIS CATEGORY (Waived for SCCC Students)
8. Students may submit in more than one genre. They must follow the guidelines for each genre and include a separate reading fee for each genre.
9. The non-refundable $10 reading fee is waived for students of SCCC.
10. Submissions will be accepted year round, but must be received by February 14, 2014 to be considered for the 2014 awards. Judging will not take place until the deadline passes, and all judges’ decisions will be made by the end of March 2014.